Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Day at Purdue!

Be sure to check out my previous post: Indiana Beach!

After spending the better portion of the last 5 years at Purdue University, it has truly become a second home to me. During my time there I made friendships that I'm sure will last a lifetime.

After Indiana Beach, I made the very short 30 minute trip back to Lafayette to stay the night before spending my day in Boilermaker nation. My day started with a car wash at the Jungle Themed drive through Car wash to give Fiona (my car) a good scrub down. This was her first wash all summer so it was much needed. After the wash, it was off to what turned out to be one of my favorite places on campus: Harry's Chocolate Shop.

Vanilla White Russian at Harry's
So Its not really a chocolate shop (I don't even know if they sell anything with chocolate), but an awesome and historic bar at Purdue. Opened in 1919 as a soda fountain, they served the students of Purdue university for mainly lunchtime items. It later acquired a liquor license and began its service as the common day bar. Purdue lore states that it was a speak-easy during prohibition and the hatch in the floor used to be covered by the counter and was the passage to the underground bar. That hatch now leads to the liquor storage area. So whether that story is true or not will remain with those students who visited during that controversial age. In any case, they are home to some great memorabilia and some of the best drinks (with a debatably higher alcohol content) around. Whether it be a Green Dragon or a Baltimore Zoo, everyone can find their drink of choice. Personally?? I like a Vanilla White Russian.

Megan with Lanie
During my time as an RA on campus, almost as a joke I started having my 1 on 1's with my staff resident over lunch at Harry's, when she said yes, and we both realized how good the food was, it turned into a weekly occurrence. About a month into the year we became regulars and had a the same waitress every week that we built a great relationship with. So needless to say, upon my day at Purdue I couldn't miss out on this weekly tradition.
Megan with Bucky!

After my time at Harry's I headed back to my friend Megan'sapartment to meet her dog, a Lab named Lanie! Being a little animal deprived over the summer, I may have been a bit more excited to play ball that Lanie was, but nonetheless we had a great time. After the traditional photo with Bucky, I parted ways and headed out to visit my friend Chris and catch up on the past month, and of course get some new EDM tunes for the road.

Mary with Bucky!
That night, I stayed at my friend Alexis and Mary's apartment, surprising Mary for her birthday which was 2 days later. Staying up late and catching up with friends, made it seem like yesterday that I was spending all of my days at Purdue.
Pam and Mary with Bucky!

The next morning before heading out on the road for my 3 day trip to 
California, I met 2 friends and office clerks Pam and Mary for breakfast at Panera. It was again good to catch up with people that I had seen daily for so long.


Be sure to check out my next post: Road Trip to California-Part 1: St Louis!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before being displayed.