Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kansas City-Part 1: "Welcome to KC!"

Be Sure to Check Out My Previous Post: Wichita.


Great Wolf Lodge, Kansas City
Kansas City, KS/MO. Home of the Chiefs, killer Bar-B-Que and more roads crossing state lines than
any other city! Kansas City is split partially between Kansas and Missouri, so it is very likely that in your daily commute you will start in one state, pass into the other and pass back into the first before the even arriving at work! Its all quite confusing.

My stay in Kansas City lasted about  a week, which was nice because I was able to have some sense of normalcy by returning to the same room every night and not having to repack my car every day. It was also great as I needed a new case for my phone, but the one I wanted from OtterBox could only be ordered online and I was never in a place for long enough to get it shipped to me in time. This case is pretty awesome too, as it has a battery pack inside that gives me about twice the battery life (enough to last through a whole day!), as well as the legendary defender protection. Needless to say it was a pretty exciting day when it was delivered.

Schlitterbahn Kansas City

While I never ventured into the actual downtown area, I did plenty of driving all around it. My stops included both a Great Wolf Lodge (which is awesome for families!) and Schlitterbahn and a few other parks in the area. Schlitterbahn was pretty cool because they had a FlowRider, and only 1 other person riding. On days when I know there is a FlowRider, I get to the park early just to get a few runs in before getting to work. The rest of the park was pretty cool, because all of their attractions were connected by their now infamous "Transportainment" concept (where you can access most of the attractions without even getting out of your tube!). They also had a Soaring Eagle recently installed which was neat to see.

Oklahoma Joe's Barbecue
My time in Kansas City couldn't be complete with a trying some legendary KC BBQ. If you ask the locals, they all recommend one place "Oklahoma Joe's", the gas station location. That's right, a world famous BBQ restaurant is in a Gas Station. After arriving, I think of it more as a gas station is located in a restaurant. For the history of Oklahoma Joe's, be sure to check out their website. But if you ever consider a visit, keep a few things in mind:



My meal at Oklahoma Joe's
-There is always a line.
-If you come around lunch or dinner time, be prepared to wait 30 minutes or more.
-You aren't allowed to hold a table while you are in line, however because of this rule, there is always a table available. There is just some kind of magic that makes it work this way.
-All of the food is good, but don't pass up on the brisket!
Schlitterbahn River


The food was delicious and the prices were extremely reasonable. Be sure if you pass through Kansas City to make this a must see/eat!

All in all, I loved my time touring around Kansas City, and can't wait to come back. In the next post, I make my first non-work theme park stop at World's of Fun!

Be sure to check out more photos in the #LyfInFocus-Kansas City Album!

Be Sure to Check Out my Next Post: Kansas City-Part 2 "Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before being displayed.