Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Kansas City-Part 2 "Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun!"

Be Sure to Check Out My Previous Post: Kansas City-Part 1 "Welcome to KC!"

Worlds of Fun!

The Patriot
Well after a few audits in the area, I decided to take a day off. And what better to do on a day off than to go ride new roller coasters! The local Cedar Fair park is World's of Fun/Oceans of Fun, and is themed off of "Around the World in 80 Days". When I arrived, the parking lot was deceiving and made it seem as if it was going to be packed, but once I was inside I immediately realized this would not be the case. I came around 5PM for their evening discount, which would give me 4 hours of solid coaster riding before they closed at 9PM.

My first ride of the day was "The Patriot", a B&M inverted roller coaster. With station length loading, I was on within 5 minutes. It was a great coaster, and was truly amazing to be riding a roller coaster again for the first time since October. With my feet hanging free, and the cool breeze rushing past my face, I was in pure coaster bliss. After 4 inversions, I quickly ran back through to the front of the line for more. Just as good as the first time.

Funny Warning Sign

Next I headed down to "The Timber Wolf", or as locals call it
Front of The Line Passes
 "The Wimper Wolf". It was a typical wooden coaster, and was a great one for kids to get their start on. In the line I found a funny sign (pictured here) and thought this should be common sense. Unfortunately while waiting in the station, (which had a grand total of 8 people), it broke down and they had to call out maintenance. During the downtime, I talked with the ride operators, many of whom had worked this ride for 4 years (and also it was their first coaster as a kid!). After maintenance left and we boarded, I rode the expected to be rough coaster, and when reaching the brake run by the transfer track, the brakes tripped a sensor and we have to be evacuated from the ride. Not the dramatic, full track walk, that most enthusiasts hope for, but cool none-the-less. We were then handing Roller Coaster Gold: Front of the Line Passes. While it wasn't too significant to receive these on a day like I had visited (as there were really no lines at all), It was still cool to get them.


My next ride was an S&S Double Shot tower. Was pretty decent and provided a great view of the park.

Next I attempted to walk to the other-side of the park for some of their other attractions. I say attempted, as many of the main walkways were temporarily closed off for some big trucks to drive through with stage equipment for the next days Christian Rock festival. Next up was the Boomerang. Nothing special, standard Boomerang.

From here, I traveled to the parks tallest coaster: The Mamba. People were raving about this one, but
I didn't get it. But had fun anyways on this long-trained Morgan coaster. I will say the ride-op here was a little to enthusiastic about his job.

I then started to walk towards the other wood coaster, but stopped when I saw quite a unique sight. The Rapids rides loading dock had been drained and all of the employees were wearing life-jackets. I thought at first that maybe there was a rescue happening, but after surveying the scene (E&A people feel free to chuckle), I saw that 2 rafts had wedged themselves stuck when moving into the storage area. Check out this video of how theme park maintenance gets the job done. 


After a brief stop for some comedic relief, I made the trek down to "The Prowler". This was a great woody, and would itself through the surrounding trees and hillside for a thrilling 2.5 minute ride!  This was the only ride that had any sort of wait, so I decided to utilize one of my front of the line passes. So I proudly walked up the exit ramp, excited to present my golden ticket, however the ride
operated looked very upset when I showed it to him, and when asking where I wanted to sit I told him the front. He then proceeded to announce to almost the whole station that "Hey people waiting for the front, you are going to have to wait to ride because this guy has a pass". Glares all fell upon me as I walked on to board. I felt as if I had committed a theme park crime. Waiting for them to clear the train for dispatch, while 3 feet to my right were angered guests who had waited in line started me down, was an awkward experience. But soon after, the train was sent on its way and I had a great time! The Prowler uses Millennium Flyer Trains, which are smooth and still provide plenty of airtime. One of my favorite wooden coasters to date.

With about an hour left until the park closed, I got in line for "Spinning Dragons". A cool mini coaster where the cars spin freely based on the weight distribution as it glides through the twists and turns.

I ended my day with 2 final rides on The Patriot before saying goodbye. Overall World's of Fun was a
great park. It had all the standard coasters and attractions, and even a few unique experiences. I was quite happy with it being so slow during my visit, as it allowed me to see all of the park. It would be a few weeks before my next coaster day, so it was a great way to hold me over.

Be sure to check out more photos in the #LyfInFocus-Worlds of Fun Album!

Be Sure to Check Out my Next Post: Around Missouri!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed before being displayed.